Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week 4 of training...

Well... It's actually going OK! The training profile from Help For Heroes is modest during the week, and then a bigger trip at the weekend. Fortunately the past few weeks have had enough dry and bright days to make cycling more of a pleasure.

Tomorrow is a "kit shopping" day. I've got by with a few new things so far (jacket, water reservoir, etc) but I need to get some more serious kit now:
* SPD's and shoes. Whilst I use toe straps, and they're pretty good. SPD's offer a more connected and fully driving connection to the bike. With 70 miles a day on offer in May every last percentage is going to be useful
* clothing - something with a little padding on the human/saddle interface is likely to be seriously beneficial!
* saddle. A commuting padded saddle is unlikely to be the best thing, so I'll be looking at a few razor blade options!
* computer. I spend my time on the bike calculating percentages of journey so far, likely arrival time at home and so on. A computer (well I am a geek!) will automate some of this and maybe I can spend a bit more time thinking about something else!
* handlebar bag. I've a small bag under the saddle, but once I go for longer training runs, I'll need a bit more stuff (food!) with me

What I can't get over is how much things have changed since the 80's...

And of course if you want to sponsor my Help For Heroes Big Battlefield Bike Ride, Please click here



No comments: