Monday, August 12, 2013

#BBBR13 Day 2 - Compiegne to Amiens

Arising early and a light (too light) breakfast we hit the road on a nicer day than before.  Fairly early in the day we came upon a group of colleague who were outside this cemetery.  Stopping for the anticipated tour guide it turned out that people were just taking a breather!
But there was an interesting local cross to view...


Moving on we came to the tour stop proper.  In the day's still early light a field of crosses were on display down a small country track.  Not for the first time I wished I could have brought a DSLR with me on the ride...





Just before we left, I caught this sight, and just had to take the photo!



My team-mate and companion on wheels - Keith.

Sometime later (!) I staggered into the lunch stop quite late and realised that whilst I could cycle onto Thiepval for the ceremony I would probably be late.  So sacrificing miles for attendance I grabbed a lift and got to Thiepval just in time for the highlight of the week.


This time I had crosses for my Great Great Uncles personalised for me by a friend, and I proudly laid them and then spent a while thinking of them, and others before heading off for the final bit of the day.




Whilst Arthur George has a grave at Bernafay Wood, David Albert (killed on the first day of the Somme) does not.  His name is on the Thiepval memorial, but after the last year's research I was albe to go the Newfoundland Park just north of Thiepval at Beaumont Hamel.

Somewhere, in the distance past the memorial is the ground where he fell.  And may even remain to this day (although it is possible he is one of the many "Known Unto God" burials.

Continuing on, we cycled the remaining miles to Amiens, and had an excellent dinner with a few new companions we made that evening.

Everyone does the ride for a different reason - it's quite something to learn more and more of those reasons...

No comments: